Saturday, January 14, 2017

Algorithmic Bias

Two days ago the ACM published a press release on algorithmic bias. Included in there is a PDF listing 7 principles for developers and organizations to consider when developing their algorithms. Computing automates many things and discrimination is unfortunately one of them.

Facebook has had a question come up with their ethnic affinity feature for ads. NOTE: I am not saying Facebook is engaging in discrimination with their ads. I haven't done any further research into this particular story to determine how the ethnic affinity actually works. I am merely posting it as an example of a question that has come up about an algorithm that a prominent company uses. If interested, please do additional research before making any judgments.

I don't know how much impact the ACM's statement will have on the developer community. But I do salute them for at least publishing this out there for awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment